Thursday, October 14

What Are Your Favorite Cricut Cartridges?

What are your favorite Cricut cartridges? That is a question that I get asked a lot, and unfortunately, it is also a question that I have a difficult time answering. My favorites depend on many different things - the time of the year and whether any holidays are around the corner and the type of projects I am working on. Also, if my craft project is a gift (such as a card), my answer may be dependent on the person who will be receiving the present.

Overall, though, my favorite carts are considered the "full cartridges", as opposed to the limited edition seasonal minis and the Walmart exclusive Lite carts. Full carts have six different creative features and seemingly endless options for die cutting.

Many not only include images, but also fonts and phrases. These can be used together to create themed scrapbook pages and other projects. They also may include shadow and blackout features, which are essential which your cutouts need a little extra "oomph" to help them stand out on the page. They also may include layering features, which adds personality to an other flat, one-dimensional die cut. Speaking of one-dimensional, some of the full cartridges also allow you to cut three-dimensional items, such as boxes and paper houses.

Several full Cricut cartridges were released in 2010, but in my opinion, these are a few of the best:

Happy Hauntings - The die cut machines from Provo Craft have been around for several years, and during that time, users had been requesting a cart for Halloween. Well, in 2010, they finally got their wish! This one contains some great images, as well two full font sets, and some great 3D items, including a spooky tree and a haunted house.

Create a Critter - The name of this cart says it all! With Create a Critter, you can create adorable cats and dogs, woodland creatures, and so much more. These cutouts are perfect for scrapbooking pages of little ones at play, and for making cards especially suited for children.

Simply Charmed - I love this cart because it can make die cuts for just about any celebration, any holiday, any reason! In my opinion, it's always a good thing when this much versatility is offered. I think that is why Stretch Your Imagination and Doodlecharms were so popular in years past, and why I predict this one will be the same.

Of course, your list may be completely different than mine! I guess that is why there are so many different Cricut cartridges available - we all have different tastes and different needs. What may appeal to me may not appeal to you - and vice versa. So feel free to disagree with me. However, if you do, post your favorites for 2010 below...

No comments: